Sunday, September 16, 2012

Southern Exposure


While I have not had time for writing lately I’m inspired by my writing friends I’ve made both as a member of ACFW and through the Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writers Conference who seem to be putting out books right and left. It seems quick from my point of view but I know each and every one of them have put in long hours of writing and editing of their books.

I thought I’d share a few of those with new books or about to be released books. My last blog update was about Marcia Moston’s book; “Call of A Coward: The God of Moses and the Middle-Class Housewife”. I met Marcia at my first BRMCWC in 2010. She had finished her book then and was waiting to get it published. I enjoyed getting to know her and found her to be very engaging. Read my blog to learn more about her book that was released in August through Thomas Nelson Publishers. Marcia made a move in the right direction as she now lives in SC. I just posted a review on Amazon of her book.

I believe it was in 2011 that I was in Boone visiting our son who attends ASU that another writer, Alice Wisler was doing a book signing with author, Marybeth Whalen at the local Christian bookstore. Alice is from Durham and I wanted to support my local writers so I made a point to go and that’s where I met Marybeth who had just released “The Mail Box”. I got a signed copy of her book and Alice’s’ “Hatteras Girl”. The Mail Box is written with the town of Sunset Beach as the location and a great story. I even had an opportunity to see Sunset Beach first hand when we vacationed nearby.

I thoroughly enjoyed her writing and so when I heard she was releasing another book; “The Guest Book” which is also set in Sunset Beach I was eager to read it. Marybeth graciously provided me a copy and I must apologize that I started on the book and then life happened. Full time work has greatly hindered my reading time. But it hasn’t hindered me from collecting a few books for future reading.

One such book by BRMCWC founder,Yvonne Lehman who lives in the mountains of NC not far from Ridgecrest was released this year titled “Hearts that Survive” A novel of the Titanic. I enjoyed spending some time with Yvonne around the dinner table and in her class at the conference. Her life should be a book. And because of her vision for the BRMCWC many writers have learned their craft and published many books that we enjoy today. I was fortunate to have an appointment with Yvonne while at the conference to discuss the book I’m currently working on and she was very encouraging. I had a little fun with her jesting about the ‘Violin Murder’ I wrote based on her keynote speech that week.

While at the conference this year I was pleased that Todd Starnes of Fox News Radio returned as a keynote speaker. His southern charm and wit makes for an engaging personality. But he has heart as well. I loved his book “They Popped My Hood and Found Gravy on the Dipstick” that made for side splitting moments with my roommate at the 2010 BRMCWC. And this year was not disappointing either as he has released, “Dispatches from Bitter America” A Gun Toting, Chicken Eating Son of a Baptist's Culture War Stories. His writing is entertaining and interesting as he shares from the inside of his world at Fox News.

Wherever Todd is at conference you can be sure he is surrounded by people who enjoy his political humor and perspective. I’ll share a little secret with you Todd is working on his first fiction book which I’m sure will be hilarious.

My friend Lisa Carter who I met in 2010 and lives in Raleigh, received her first book contract while at the 2012 conference. Her book, “Aloha Rose” will be released in November 2013. Now you see how long it takes to go from writing to publishing. It will be part of the Quilts of Love Series published by Abingdon Press. I’m looking forward to reading her work. There are many more I could mention but will have to save it for another post. Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. One of the best things about the writing journey is getting to know other writers like you and encouraging each other. It also a joy to know someone else who doesn't think I'm weird when I talk about my pretend people as if they're real. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure to have met you as well. I'm so exciting about your publishing and you gave me the encouragement (courage:)to attend Ramona Richards class which was awesome.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Daphne! Glad to have you back to blogging. :-) (and yes--great books!)

    Can't wait to read your book, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Hopefully I can be more consistent.

      Delete