Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Call of a Coward


I’ve finished reading the soon-to-be-released book by Marcia Moston titled “Call of a Coward”. If I had been called and written the book, it would have been titled “Call of a Bigger Coward” because I would have told God he misdialed if he had called me to leave my comfortable, secure home in the U.S. to serve in a foreign land. But that’s why he created people like Marcia.

Marcia and her husband, Bob are led to Guatemala as missionaries. I’m not sure they really planned to be missionaries, but the opportunity arose and off they went, well maybe Marcia was still holding onto the front door post. I met Marcia at my first Blue Ridge Mountain Writers Conference in 2010 where she won an award for this very story that had yet to be published. She is warm, friendly and engaging. It was great to get to see her again upon my return to the same conference two months ago at Ridgecrest.

Whether you are familiar with a missionary lifestyle or not you will enjoy “Call of a Coward” which will be released by Thomas Nelson Publishers on August 7th. You can pre-order her book through major stores like Amazon, CBD and Barnes & Noble. I could relate some to Marcia’s story. The church that my husband and I attend is overflowing with families being called into missions. Of course it helps that there is a prominent seminary in our hometown. It is amazing to be surrounded by so many families that are willing to go onto foreign soil to spread the gospel.

One such family, the Crosland’s with whom my husband and I became friends with through our ‘small group’ are fairly new to the mission field. They journeyed with their children over a year ago to Papua New Guinea and they asked us to be their Gatekeepers. We support them through prayer, financially and keep the church family informed of needs as well as encouraging them while they serve so far from home. And I still feel inadequate in that role but I get to do it from the comfort of my home. My husband had the opportunity to travel to Papua New Guinea a year ago this month to work alongside the Crosland’s for three weeks. As the wife left behind; I was very concerned for my husband’s travel, staying healthy and returning safely. The 3 days of travel to get there would have been a feat for me since I do not like to fly. I do sound like a coward, don’t I? You can read more of his adventure in PNG via my August 8, 2011 blog post.

Reading “Call of a Coward” gives a true picture of a missionary life. Marcia tells about her experience through words that are so descriptive you feel as if you are there with her. She shares her thoughts, fears, prayers and about the relationships she developed with the Mayan people. It’s riveting and touching as she opens her heart to share her journey from a reluctant missionary to a determined one.
Faith is the foundation that supports a missionary through the struggles, concerns and provisions that gives them the strength to serve.

I admire those that have that kind of faith and adventuresome spirit. Missionaries leave the comfort and safety of life in the states to serve people of different cultures, languages, live on an income that is well below American standards and without the modern conveniences that we have become accustomed to for many decades. And many have children with them as they serve like Marcia. If you enjoy adventure, traveling or would like to know more about missions you can do it from the comfort of your cozy chair in your cool home while sipping some sweet ice tea and read “Call of a Coward”. Learn more about my friend and author at http://marciamoston.com.



1 comment: